Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Rhode Island Senior Olympic 2012 report:
We raced in Ninigret on June 3 for the Ocean State Senior Games.
Events were 5k time trial, 10k time trial, 20k criterium, and 40k criterium. All events were on the Ninigret course with the tt's starting 30 second spacing first in the morning at 9AM. Dan came with me in order to ride the tt course that will be used in August for the NE TT Championship. We left early so I could get a proper warmup and avoid the mediocre performance of the CT Senior tt's I did a couple of weeks ago.
I raced the 5 k first and was not happy with how I felt or handled the course. The corners are fairly tight and I just could not get a rhythm or settled onto the bike.  Ultimately I scored a 4th place, out of 3rd by 7 seconds and out of first by a minute.
An hour later we staged for the 10k tt. I had spent most of the inter-race period circulating the track picking out cornering lines and trying lean angles.  I was warmed but still very fresh for the start at 10:15 and launched smoothly and quickly. I had decided to make this my race for the day and not try to conserve for the later races in the day as I did previously and in CT. I  railed the corners and hit all my marks perfectly. I had run near max heart rate for the last lap and nearly collapsed from exhaustion at the end. I had the best 10k of my career and crossed the finish in full red-line. In this race I scored 1st and won the tt.

Next up at 2pm was the 20/40k criterium. The races are run concurrently so if you wish to contest the 20k only you pull out at the 14 lap point. I was all in so I was staying for the whole 28 lap event. It was a Cat 1-5 race so I was racing with guys that are much faster than myself. To say is was an aggressive race might be understating the fact. Every couple of laps a few of the racers would attack out the front to be hauled back by equally violent counter attacks from the field. About 11 laps in, a rider indicated to me he wanted to make an attack with me. I had a memory lapse of how many laps we were actually going to do and confused I went with him off the front for what I thought was an attack for the 20k finish. I was wrong, I was also toast after expending most of my remaining energy trying to stay up front pointlessly. A valuable lesson learned and I promptly was shuttled out the back where I joined the others that had been dropped by all the furious attacks off the front (mine include). I finished up both races by grabbing onto other OTB riders and back onto the field as it lapped me. The price for the morning's efforts was high but I still finished ahead of a few guys and finished the 40k. My Northeast Masters points were secured. All in all it was another great day of racing but the recovery will take a few days. Hopefully I'll be full functioning by the time of the Purgatory Road Race next Sunday. See you all there or at Sunapee the week after.

No comments:

Post a Comment