Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, let's go racin' boys.

CycloNauts Criterium at Stafford Spring Speedway was next up on 5/26/2012.
I raced in the 4/5 45+ race at 10AM. The race was on a classic 1/2 mile Nascar oval asphalt track with a chicane through the infield to have a left turn thrown into the mix. It was a fast race reaching 29 mph on a flat track for several laps. I hung in climbing and falling through the field as opportunity arose leading a little but never in the back. It was marred by a couple of minor crashes but otherwise a fairly clean race for a 4/5. I think 4/5 races bring out the worst aspects of both groups and end up being fraught with peril. On the last lap I decided to take a leap of faith and shoot up the left side of field to lead out for about 400 meters. I shifted up and poured on the coals. I figured it was safest at the front because no one could crash me from the front of the field. As it turned out 9 of us crossed over the line together across the track as the guys from behind sprinted for the finish. I took 8th. My best result thus far in a road race or a crit. I might have done better but underestimated the effort I could hold in a sprint waiting a touch too long. Next week I'm at Ninigret for the RI Senior Games. Again a stage race in a day. 5k, 10k, 20k, 40k.

No comments:

Post a Comment